For latest news and news releases please visit our up-to-date Blog
PORTABLE USB DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEM NOW ACHIEVES INDUSTRY-LEADING 200 kHz SAMPLING RATE
AKRON, OH, August 2, 1999 — DATAQ Instruments announces that it has created a new method for achieving high-speed USB-based data acquisition at rates up to 200kHz at 16-bit resolution. This dramatically exceeds competitive systems that have been limited to just 100kHz speeds.
The new level of performance is incorporated into upgraded versions of DATAQ's Model DI-720 and DI-730 Data Acquisition Systems. These super-compact (L 9" × W 7.29" × H 1.52") units can be connected via the USB port, offering simple plug-and-play connections to a PC or laptop with hot-swap capability. Their higher speed and convenient design make them ideally suited for voice, sound, shock, vibration, high-speed machinery and virtually any dynamic signal, and as a replacement for DAT recorders.
In benchmark testing, the DI-720 and DI-730 actually performed beyond their 200 kHz specification. On a 350 MHz Pentium II-equipped computer, the systems supported one-channel 16-bit resolution at 250 kHz; two channels at 222 kHz; and three or more channels at 231 kHz.
Benefits of USB Solutions
The Universal Serial Bus has rapidly found its way into the industry arena via data acquisition since its introduction in 1998. USB supports relatively high speeds — up to 12 Mbps, which is roughly 50 times faster than an RS-232 serial port and 10 times faster than EPP. USB devices are controlled by the host PC, which can support up to 127 USB devices, compared to GPIB's 15, via a hubbing arrangement.
USB finally makes installation of peripherals hassle-free, because it provides true plug-and-play and hot swapping. In fact, connecting peripherals is as simple as plugging in a lamp. Once plugged in, the device is ready to run.
USB makes it easy for a developer of PC-based test systems to create a work cell network of measurement instruments without having to resort to complex data communication hardware and software. This lowers the time and cost of integrating different sensors, instruments and related devices into a highly flexible data acquisition system.
The DI-730 features the industry's first-of-its kind measurement range of ±10mV to 800VDC (or peak AC) across six ranges per channel with ±1000V channel-to-channel isolation. With a dynamic range unmatched by any other product, the DI-730 offers eight differential channels at sampling speeds of 250 kHZ at 16-bit resolution.
The DI-720 offers up to 32 single-ended or 16 differential analog input channels, programmable per channel to optimize channel use, at sampling speeds outside of USB up to 250 kHz at 16-bit resolution. Each of the DI-720's channels can measure from ± 1.25 to ± 10V across four programmable gain selections (1, 2, 4, 8) providing a wide range of signals to be measured simultaneously. The DI-720 at $37 per channel, provides the lowest cost per channel of any general purpose standard port data acquisition device. Because of its high channel density, the DI-720 provides exceptional value and eliminates costly channel expanders in most applications.
Key System Features
The DI-720/730 offer the following features:
- DSP-based design — Provides enhanced performance at a lower cost. Can be customized for specific applications.
- Support of average, maximum, minimum and last point acquisition methods — Allows noise reduction, or min/max detection in real time using DATAQ's exclusive intelligent oversampling technique. Allows the acquisition of peak voltage and/or current at extremely low sample rates.
- Built-in pre and post triggering — Allows acquisition of data points before, after, and at the trigger event. No need to collect unwanted data.
- Programmable sample rates —Supports programmable sample rate per channel for conserving disk storage space where high and low frequency signals are measured at the same time.
- Ethernet support — The DI-720/730 provide an Ethernet 10BaseT communication port option to allow multiple DI-700 Series devices to be connected to the same network or node at the same time from virtually any location desired.
- Potless digital calibration — Calibration is achieved via software.
- Operates from any power supply source between nine and 36 volts — Allows operation from the included AC power supply.
Turnkey support for both systems is provided by DATAQ's WinDaq/Pro, WinDaq/Pro+, or WinDaq/Lite. Each system comes with WinDaq/Lite acquisition and WinDaq Waveform Browser playback and analysis software for fast, simple-set-up data acquisition, playback, and analysis without programming. Virtually any software environment is supported, including HP VEE, LabVIEW® and TestPoint. Language support is provided by the supplied Programmer's Software Development Kit for Windows-based programming languages including Visual Basic, C, and C++.
About DATAQ Instruments
DATAQ Instruments, Inc., based in Akron, Ohio, is a leading producer of PC-based, real-time data acquisition hardware and software. DATAQ supplies the PC-based instrumentation needs for medical, research, and industrial test and measurement customers. For more information on the DI-720 or DI-730 Data Acquisition Systems, call DATAQ Instruments at 330-668-1444 or write to: DATAQ Instruments, Inc., 241 Springside Drive, Akron, OH 44333-2473. E-mail requests for information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Products and company names listed are trademarks or trade names of their respective companies.